Thursday, May 3, 2012


The most important thing you did to prepare your child for adulthood
I’m an advocate at PACER, and my kids with disabilities are now adults in their 30s. What’s the most important thing I did to prepare them for adulthood? I think it was never giving up. I had to change some strategies and methods, but I didn’t give up on helping my children learn to read, to behave in public (and at home!), and to become self-advocates.  Many days it just seemed like a downhill battle, but you should see them now!
Parents of older “kids,” what is the most important thing you did to prepare your child with a disability  for adulthood?

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to hear some answers. My 2-year-old could really benefit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the previous comment...never give up and keep those expectations high. Also, teaching social cues and advice on how the world works. A simple thing, the importance of personal hygiene and some basic tips on money management.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helping them learn to be as self-sufficient as possible, and never ever giving them the idea that they couldn't do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree that helping them become self sufficient is so important. Even with that, my son still is in need of supports now that he is in the "after high school world". Teaching the skill of managing your money has been the most difficult for my son and he still has a difficult time with that. Social skills and the role that hygiene plays is also so important.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your response related to the topic and to 100 words or less. Responses will be monitored.